Sunday, April 25, 2010

Super Heroes V. Super Villains

When I received Hero.com and Villain.net in the mail I had no idea what to think. It was two books in one--an ARC (advanced reader copy)--one of those one book on one side and flip over and turn upside down (or upside right) for the other book dealies.

I was not all that impressed.

But then I read the premise. "What if there was a website that let you download super powers? Which ones would you choose? Who would you save? Who would you hurt? In this new super-charged action series, adventure is just a click away."

That was all I needed. I was hooked! Sign me up. I mean, who wouldn't want to down download super powers from the internet? I order pizza online!

The heroes of Hero.com Rise of the Heroes Tom, Pete, Lorna and Emily stumble upon the website which allows them to download cool abilities like flying, x-ray vision and teleporting. Suddenly, life just got a whole lot better.

Of course, the good times don't last long. A super villain kidnaps Toby and Lorna's mom and they must work together to save her. What the kids don't know is that Villain.net is out there recruiting kids for the other side--the evil side.

Laser vision and super strength can be had for a price.

Which side would you choose?

Author Andy Briggs creates an awesome and totally believable world in Hero.com Rise of the Heroes and Villain.net Council of Evil. All of a sudden Sci-Fi is fun again and kids are having a blast. He's also managed to turn this amazing world into an online playground with an accompanying website where visitors can choose sides. Undecided? Take a survey and let the computer decide if you're good or evil! With stunning high-end graphics and video, the site truly mimics the feel of the books.

Also, writers, take a look at the vlogs Andy has posted on his site. Most interesting to me is the book signing done on the day of the release. Andy is a master at hand-selling books to kids who have never heard of the books. He is sitting there passionately selling the concept of his companion books to these kids who are eating it up. He is obviously pumped, approachable and easy to talk to. Its a great lesson on how to do signings and talk up your book.

I enjoyed these so much, I'm giving my copy to a promising student I met on a school visit recently. He is very into Sci-Fi and was super active in the classroom on the day I visited. This is his reward for participation and I really hope he enjoys the books as much as I did.

Visit the website!

Buy the books!

Follow Andy on twitter or myspace.

Which side which YOU choose?!

xoxo-
Georgia

0 comments:

Post a Comment