Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Over It

I don’t know about you guys, but about ten minutes into a fad I’m completely over it. Done. Don’t want to hear another word about it. Which makes it extremely painful and agonizing when the fad just doesn’t seem to want to die.

My outlet? Complaining.

So here is a list of things that I’m completely over:

1. The emo vampire: I like vampires. I do. But I can’t stand the vampire boy (or girl) who slinks through three hundred pages bemoaning their porcelain skin and penchant for ripping out people’s throats. I want my vampires to glory in the killing with a wicked grin, like Damon from the Vampire Diaries. Look, people, you are a vampire. You are probably super strong and maybe have some other crazy abilities that will vary depending on the series. Still. You are bad ass. Act like it.

2. Girls who break up only to find another Mr. Right Now: I’ve read a couple of books recently about girls who are dumped/cheated on by their boyfriends. They spend the rest of the book not getting over it until they meet another sparkly boy who catches their attention. Look, getting dumped sucks. It hurts. But dating a new guy does not erase that pain. And what’s with all of the doormat girls in YA? Ladies, you don’t have to wait until the last two chapters of the book to actually do something about your situation.

3. Dystopian: as much as I love the genre, I’m starting to get a little burned out on the pretty-on-the-surface-seriously-corrupt-underneath dystopian novel. Maybe it’s because so many other authors have done it well that I don't have a lot of patience for new series.  And it’s not entirely believable that one person would try to change the world, (although I’m willing to suspend disbelief for Katniss, at least for one more book). Most of us are perfectly happy to just float along and hope no one notices us. Why aren’t there more of those characters in dystopian novels?

4. The twenty book series with a cliffhanger at the end of each book: Seriously? Nothing tees me off quicker than getting to the last page and seeing that of the twenty loose threads in the story maybe, MAYBE, one has been resolved. And oh, by the way, the next book doesn’t come out until NEXT YEAR. *head desk* Come on, can we at least get our characters to a good ending spot so that we know they aren’t going to die? That would be great, thanks.

5. The Justin Beiber/Jonas Brothers War: Okay, this has nothing to do with books, but I am a little tired of this whole thing. Trust me, in ten years they will all be doing specials on VH1 talking about how it was “such a surprise” when they became famous and how it eventually got to be “a little overwhelming” towards the end (right before their popularity faded). Don’t believe me? Google any one of the following:

98 Degrees
New Kids One the Block
Leif Garrett
Backstreet Boys
N*Sync (although Justin Timberlake may be the exception)



So that’s my list. What are you completely over? Lists about things that other people hate? Shapeshifters? Paranormal in general? Leave your thoughts after the beep.

*BEEP*

1 comments:

Cholisose said...

Yeah, these are definitely trends that have gone on for a while, and books need to be extra good if they plan to use them.
At the end you mention shapeshifters--have there really been any big YA books about shapeshifters? (Or do we mean werewolves by that?)

Post a Comment