Monday, March 28, 2011

WIN a copy of THE HANDBOOK FOR LIGHTNING STRIKE SURVIVORS by Michele Young-Stone


One thing that I love about books is their indefinability.  You know, we love to label things -- books being no exceptions.  This book is YA, this book is sci fi, this book is for adults -- you know the drill.  But every once in a while you come across a book that seems shareable amongst all readers.  Or, you know, at least crosses that boundary between the YA audience and the adult world.

One of my favorite such books is THE HANDBOOK FOR LIGHTNING STRIKE SURVIVORS by the inimitable Michele Young-Stone.  Today, we are giving away copies of Michele's book.  Because a) it is an awesome book that, while labelled as "adult fiction" is absolutely a book worth sharing with YA readers and b) because I love this book and Michele is awesome enough to send my readers copies and c) we are celebrating next week's paperback release of this, her debut novel.

I could talk about this book for days and months and years, so let me just tell you what a few of the fancy reviewers had to say:

"Yes, it's a book about lightning, but it's so much more.  It's about the interconnectedness of our stories, our seemingly lonely and individual sufferings.  It's about the strength of the human spirit.  It's about finding redemption where you least expect it.  This book, like lightning itself, will take your breath away."  Our State Magazine

Young-Stone has written an exceptionally rich and sure-handed debut, full of complex characters, brilliantly described. . . . Her style certainly has an electric immediacy."   The Boston Globe

Author Michele Young-Stone
with her hardcover debut!
So if you want to win your own brand-new, shiny, autographed(!) paperback of THE HANDBOOK FOR LIGHTNING STRIKE SURVIVORS -- which you will have in your hands before it even hits store shelves -- all you have to do is leave a comment.  I promise, this won't be a book you'll soon forget.   I mean, Publisher's Weekly named it one of the best debuts of 2010.  (And yours truly does not disagree!  In fact, it was one of my favorite books PERIOD of 2010!)

To review: All you have to do to win is leave a comment (though retweeting and all that is appreciated).  Two winners will be selected by the random number generating faeries, and results will be posted on Thursday.  Good luck!

8 comments:

Pam Harris said...

Ooh, I would LOVE to read this book! I saw Michele speak at a conference last year and she was so well-spoken and down to earth. :) Plus, the book sounds amazing!

Michele Young-Stone said...

I can't win. I wrote it. But I'm excited to sign and share my book with you! :-)

Jennifer Gravley said...

The cover is very cute also!

Unknown said...

This book sounds great. I hope I win :)

katherine.elliott.scott (at) gmail (dot) come

Anonymous said...

OOh...this sounds like a good one. The title is incredibly intriguing.

Liana said...

cool! I saw this in the YA section at borders

Unknown said...

I have been totally intrigued by this book ever since you first mentioned it, EKA! Here's hoping the bumber faeries show me some love!

Grig said...

This looks like a fascinating book - thanks for giving it away! :) If I win, my email is grig at gmx dot com

*crosses fingers*

Post a Comment