I'm still here!
I have not forgotten you guys!
I remember what blogs are!
They are for writing down thoughts and interacting with other people!
These are things I forget to do on a regular basis!
So today I will forget that I forget how to write things down and interact with people and I will talk to you about things that are whirling around in my brain - talk to you in written form!
1. I'm reading Greg van Eekhout's THE BOY AT THE END OF THE WORLD to my kids in the evenings, and it is a fantastic, exciting, action-packed middle grade novel. Also, I really, really, love speaking in a robot voice when I read. This book has my 9yo son completely entranced. And me, too. (Not just because of the robot voice.)
2. Lenny Kravitz! What?! (I kind of love it. Can't wait to see how it plays out.)
3. Previously mentioned 9yo son won't stop narrating his Spore gameplay right now and I am about to GO CRAZY.
4. I bought a Kindle (or Kangle, as the 2.5yo calls it), much to my own chagrin, and now I can't figure out what to read on it other than the newspaper and the first chapters of pretty much every book ever. When I find a book I really like, I can't stand the idea of downloading it, because I want to go to the store and buy it and smell it and ruin it in my bathtub by accident.
4a. Help me learn to love my Kangle.
4b. What books can I buy to read on the beach with my Kangle? Will I always be sad I'm not buying them in the store? My book spending is going to skyrocket because I'm going to start buying all my books TWICE. (#Iamdoingitwrong)
5. The Spore narration has ceased, but now the almost 5yo is pretending to be a baby. Very loudly.
6. When you have a book out on sub and you want to just sit and check your email every five seconds waiting on word from your agent, what's your favorite thing to do to distract yourself? Write something new? Read trashy things? Play Spore? Insult your Kangle?
7. I dislike it when I read a book that is purportedly from a young man's point of view and he says things like, "I stepped beside the bougainvillea and picked up the teak bracelet that was half buried in dirt." Do I not give boys enough credit, by thinking they don't know what specific plants and wood types are? Am I boy-ist? Or is this a ridonk thing that also drives you crazy?
8. I just had to pause to explain to my almost 5yo that Xavier starts with an X and while that is the name of the guy who invented cabbage path dolls and ALSO the name of the guy who started Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, they are not the same Xavier.
9. Today is the first day of summer vacation. So far it appears one child has croup, one child just busted his knee falling off the ottoman, and the girlchild is intent on contradicting everything I say. "Do you want some cheese?" "NO, I DO NOT WANT CHEESE. [pause] Can I have some cheese?"
10. At this point you are probably glad I haven't been blogging in a while.
OK. You are reprieved now, at least until some future time when I am also trying to ignore the kids and look busy.
I bid you adieu.